Experience using the Tool Chest?

Angela Aff
Angela Aff Posts: 113
edited August 29 in Peer Support

What has been your experience for storing & reusing custom markups in the Tool Chest?

• How do you organize and manage your tool sets?
  • What impact has this had on your efficiency?

P.S. Don't forget to check out this month's monthly challenge on Tool Sets!

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 9

Usually I organize in a way that follows my workflow. For designing I have a profile with tools for that purpose, for reviewing, a profile for that and so on. And separate tool chests for legends.

• I agree, the Tool Chest is a great feature but it does have room for further improvement. I use the Comment column quite often and I'm having one problem that I would love to see fixed in a future update:

I have noticed that if I draw a Line (saved in a tool set with comments and in 'Properties mode') while having the 'Reuse' tool activated, I can't draw more than one line at a time without losing the comments. This problem basically renders the Reuse tool useless.

• We organize tools sets by Job/Discipline. Any tools that are regularly needed we train people to drag those up to 'My Tools' so they have quick access via the keyboard. Each Discipline has a different use requirement so I just provide them with the base tools and they can re-organize as required. However we focus on using 'My Tools' as the quick access space, modified as required.

• RJ Palis
    RJ Palis Posts: 27
    edited September 6

@Angela Aff - Troy Barbu had a really awesome tool chest workflow that I still follow to this day. It'll be cool to see a short clip of that from the last OCBUG meeting.

RJ Palis, PE

AECOM Hunt

Digital Technology-BIM/VDC Senior Manager

Building & Construction Technologies

(m)213.364.7665 | (e) rj.palis@aecom.com

• Sumit Roy
    Sumit Roy Posts: 7

We have different tool set for different departments in our company. Frequently used tools are kept in My Tools under appropriate layer.

The ability to apply tools from My Tools via numbers of keyboard, duplicate tools, use paint format to match properties, assign Layer help us to be more efficient. The Search button also helps to find out a tool very quickly.