Modifying Snapshot Properties with Scripts

My firm uses the snapshot feature constantly - for overlays, comparing content from different drawing files, and a million other uses. Most of the time it's helpful to modify the snapshot (for example colorize to red, set blend to multiply, and set opacity to 50%), a process that currently requires 8-15 clicks and multiple keyboard entries. The end result is useful enough to be worth the effort, the processing is very repetitive and would be super simple to automate, if it were possible for scripts to interact with markups. To my knowledge that's not currently possible, though?

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Luke Shiras
    Luke Shiras Posts: 186

I could see this being "set as default" when pasting snapshots or maybe a "style" that can be applied with these preset properties (better if you have multiple versions)

• Iharned
    Iharned Posts: 36

YES, Love this.

• Liz Larsen
    Liz Larsen Posts: 6

I also love this idea. I use the same properties on my snapshots every time, and I agree it's a little tedious when you're doing a bunch of them.

• Alan A.
    Alan A. Posts: 48

Hi @Will Hunter,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us about Snapshot Scripting, and we've taken note of your request. While we may not be able to accommodate every feature request, we greatly value knowing which features are important to you. Could you (and others on this thread) share more information about how you use the Snapshot tool to accomplish key workflows?

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do or if you have any other questions. We look forward to collaborating in the future.  

Best regards, 

Alan A.

Product Manager

• Iharned
    Iharned Posts: 36
    edited August 21

I believe this request would fall more under Scripts than Snapshot setting, and would be extremely useful for individuals who cannot use the default overlay features. I.E., I do not like creating separate files for my overlays, so the process would look something like:

1. Run Snapshot Script
      1. This would be set to take a clean (no markup full page snapshot)
    2. Run Paste in place (overlay) Script
      1. Would paste snapshot from clipboard
      2. Color Process
      3. Modify blending properties
      4. Modify opacity
      5. Set Layer (Dialogue box?)
      6. Flatten
      7. Save file in current location
    3. Super Bonus
      1. Being able to run both of these as a singular script from a set of source files to a set of target files as batch…

The current limitation for this is the number and narrow scope of functions available on Script creation (not full javascript api, Scripting under Document/Script and Batch/Script)