CSV Summary Shenanigans - Best workflow for odd parameters.

Hello BB Community!

I find myself in a bit of a pickle. I have since taken all the data and produced what I needed in Excel but I would like to find a consistent workflow for sorting items to generate a table similar to this.

I assume there is a far better way of doing this than the way I ended up doing it but want to reach out to my Peers to see if someone with CSV_Ninja_Skills could lend a machete to this intellectual thicket.

The Idea is to return the data in a way that makes this exercise easy and fast. The hard work is already done. I simply need to get this information in a format that works for my GC partner and is as clear as possible.

I used Spaces to show Location, then used Categories to sus out which was which and used that to match up with the format in the table above. This is how the Markup looks for the Pigmented Sealer.

Does anyone have any workflow ideas to avoid spending so much time in Excel after the "Hard Work" is done?

It'd be great if someone could help me figure out a better way.

Thanks,

~James

James Schmidt

Industrial Estimator / PM / Professional DWG Interpreter & Spec. Analyst

Comments

• vfrench
    vfrench Posts: 29

You really need to look at using Power Query in Excel - you can create a workflow that gives you all the results you want at the touch of a button. Otherwise, you could copy and paste the csv into a table in Excel to generate the same results.

• James, I agree with vfrench that Power Query is the best method if you are combining multiple sheets into one document, however it can be overwhelming for those that aren't familiar with Excel. I would suggest using Excel Pivot tables, it is easier to use and easy to create multiple tables from one document.

• @vfrench I just took the .csv and saved as a .xlsx and sorted and organized the items that way. I will look into using Power Query in Excel. However, I'm looking for a way to get to the end result in REVU® directly using some kind of saved configuration so I can reuse it regularly and potentially use a "Legend" to show this account.
    I'm thinking that I may be able to use the "Create Multiple Reports Per Subject" checkbox, however I haven't done that before. I really want to find a way to do most of it in REVU®. Looks like I'm just going to have to do some trial and error to figure out the best way to do this with the least amount of time.

@Mark Gerving I did try to use "Pivot Tables" but it just wasn't returning the data that I was attempting to show. I may give that another crack but I really want to utilize REVU® for the majority of the lifting regarding this kind of Qty. Verification. The idea is to share a "Project" with my counterparts so they can see what I'm doing and how I am accounting for things. I really do want to provide a "One Source Of Truth" type of document that everyone agrees upon with minimal back and forth over different applications.

Have either of you had to show such kind of an account? How did you do it?

Please advise, ~James

James Schmidt

• vfrench
    vfrench Posts: 29

Hi James. I'm really not sure you are going to be able to do what you want to just in Revu. If you want to stay away from Excel then you should just be able to paste the CSV into an Excel spreadsheet where some formulas will generate all the details that you want.

You can always copy and paste the Excel table back into Revu but this is creating another step in the process.

Which way you go with things really does depend on just how much information you are looking to generate.

I use Power Query in order so I can take one markup from Revu and use it to create all sorts of different information.

• James, have you ever experimented with just putting a Legend on each page to account for all the items? Or using Quantity Link in Excel? It is an addin that ties directly to BB.

• Thanks @Mark Gerving , I have used that in the past as a bridge for linking the data from REVU® with QuickBid with great success. I'll see if there is a way to do that and return the data I'm looking for.

Appreciate the assist. Thank you Sir,

~James

James Schmidt

• James, another thought, have you tried to create filtered lists within the markup list? Then you can expand the Markups list and select the filter that you want.?