Keyboard Shortcuts for Assigning Statuses

It would be a huge time saver to have keyboard shortcuts for assigning markup statuses.

Numerous workflows (e.g. QA/QC and design reviews, punch/back-check) involve multiple status changes for markups, and often times there are multiple statuses (or state models) to choose from. On large projects, with 100's if not 1,000's of markups, all requiring multiple status changes, having to right-click a markup and navigate the status tree (or double-click and navigate in the markups list) is time consuming and cumbersome.

Having pre-defined keyboard shortcuts, or perhaps a way to create custom hotkeys for different statuses, would save companies hours of time at this scale.

15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Alan A.
    Alan A. Posts: 48

This is great feedback! Thank you Jared.

I am sure there is a way to alleviate this headache. We will capture this insight and it will help us prioritize improvements in this area.

• Liz Larsen
    Liz Larsen Posts: 6

@Luke Prescott, How will this work with multiple Status models active in the same PDF?

For example, I could have the built-in Review model and my own custom Status model active in a single PDF. What happens with the shortcuts then?

• Luke Prescott
    Luke Prescott Posts: 16

Hi Liz, we assign the keyboard shortcuts in ascending order from SHIFT+1 thru SHIFT+9 to the same order in which they are displayed. For example, in the case below, "Accepted" thru "None" would be auto-assigned SHIFT+1 thru SHIFT+5, respectively. Then, for the three states in the "Issues" model, those would receive SHIFT+6 thru SHIFT+8.

If you elected, within the "Edit Statuses" dialog, to move Issues above Review, shortcuts would not "stick" with the status. The shortcuts will always be auto-assigned to the first 9 statuses.

Out of curiosity, how many different individual statuses do you use on a regular basis? Of these, how many would you want to use these keyboard shortcuts for? Looking forward to getting your feedback on this once it's available!

• RyanS
    RyanS Posts: 1
    edited June 26

Luke, I find your screen shot curious as we have Review, Migrate and Redlines. Redlines contains our custom statuses and Review and Migrate cannot deleted or changed. How did you get Issues?

We exclusively use our custom statuses in our workflow. Since they are currently assigned in the order they are displayed, the ability to delete the default statuses or put custom statuses first seems like a quick solution. We use a script to load custom statuses from a template (add sheet, immediately delete sheet). The script would need the ability apply the deletion or set the order of the custom statuses. I don't see delete working because the script method only seems to add statuses.

All of that is a work around. Ideally, we'd have access to them in Revu > Keyboard Shortcuts so each user can set them to a key that means something to them instead of needing to remember what number applies what status.

EDIT: I will add that there are duplicate statuses under Review and Migrate, when they are applied it does not differentiate which set the status came from, wasting shortcuts.

• Hi Ryan, thanks for the feedback. The "Issues" state model is part of the out of the box "Field Issues" Profile in Revu. We also see ways we can improve the overall management, deployment and use of statuses. Your feedback is a great encapsulation of the needs. We don't have specific timelines at this point but it is something we are taking a closer look at. Thanks for the feedback and post!

• Good news, @sara.bovaird status shortcuts are coming.

• @sara.bovaird This has been released if you haven't realized it yet! Thanks for the suggestion - it helps me too!

Structural Engineer | Florida P.E. #95684
    Complete Structural Consulting is Licensed in all 50 States!

Connect with me on LinkedIn!